COVID-19 Update

The Executive Committee met this week to discuss the up and coming season and, in particular, the effect the coronavirus outbreak will have on our 2020 tennis season.

Unfortunately, like everyone else, we can not predict how long the stay at home instruction from the UK government will be in place but we all agreed it was inconceivable that it would be lifted in time to start the season as planned on Monday 27th April 2020.

Therefore we have taken the decision to abandon the first half of the season.  There is some possibility that we might be able to start play from Monday June 15th 2020 with all the fixtures going ahead from this date as published and a decision will be taken on this when the Executive Committee meet again at the end of May.  Hopefully by then we will know more and can take any further advice/instruction from the government and LTA.

If it is not possible to start the season from 15th June then we will consider delaying the start by a further month which would mean completing matches during August.  We feel this might be practical this year as most of us will have had to cancel holiday plans.  We realise that this might cause issues with light for clubs without floodlights and we may need to be flexible over the venues for matches and would be asking clubs to help with this – perhaps even hosting matches for other clubs.

If we can start the league season in June then we will be planning to have the various team cup competitions during August and possibly September so that there will still be plenty of competitive tennis for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks you to all the clubs that have paid their league fees so far this year.  Please will those who have not already done so make arrangements to pay them.  If there is no league tennis this year then the fees will  be carried over to 2021.